The Birth of Super Crip is now available!
Click here to get it in paperback or on Kindle.

I’ve been blogging again at http://robjquinn.blogspot.com. I hope you’ll give it a try. Thanks!

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

What I Saw from the Presidential Debate


          Maybe someday our media will grow up enough not to talk about “winners” and “losers” in a presidential debate. Maybe someday they won’t bore us with interviews after the debates with people offering rehearsed talking points and nothing but spin. Maybe someday catching the republican candidate in a blatant lie won’t cause Fox “News” to call the moderator biased, though I seriously doubt it. Actually, what we should hope for is that someday our country will grow up enough to not allow the republican PR station to pretend it’s a news network.

          I didn’t see the entire debate because I’m sick of being lied to by republicans and watching neither candidate answer a question. I did see President Obama not answer a question about capping gas prices, though Romney followed suit. I saw Romney steer every question he didn’t answer back to the economy, which he seems to think went bad the day Obama took office. It didn’t. I also saw Romney talk about women needing flexible hours so that they could get home and whip up a meal, which was only a little less creepy than the mention of the binders of women candidates he had to ask for to find viable female candidates for his gubernatorial administration.

          I’m tempted to say at least women’s employment issues were discussed as opposed to those of people with disabilities, but maybe we’re better off. How creepy would that have gotten? I’d give 5-to-1 odds Romney would have spit out the word inspirational in discussing an employee with a disability. Of course, the accepted number of unemployment among people with disabilities has risen from 75% to 80% recently, so the president doesn’t have anything to brag about. Maybe I’m being ungrateful. After all, there was a debate specifically on disability issues . . . that neither candidate attended and wasn’t televised.

          I also saw the attacks in Libya become a political volleyball. I’m not sure when exactly it became a bad thing to take the time to figure out what the hell happened in a terrorist attack, but that seemed to be the message the republicans were pushing.

          This actually started out as a tweet and I was tempted to leave it under that label as I don’t have a polished ending. But, then I realized, neither does the political process.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry, comments are closed.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.