The Birth of Super Crip is now available!
Click here to get it in paperback or on Kindle.

I’ve been blogging again at http://robjquinn.blogspot.com. I hope you’ll give it a try. Thanks!

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Resisted the urge to reply to idiot commenters on @phillydotcom @danielrubin column on cycling around the Schuylkill. They weren't quite as dumb as I feared, but close. The notion that I'm just a disabled guy whining about my own needs competed with the ridiculous suburbanites-can't-talk-about-the-city BS and the classic off-topic babbling about the names of the roads. It's at the point newspaper websites shouldn't bother allowing comments. Ahhh, I felt better now.

For easy access: http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20120521_The_river_drives_rsquo__popularity_crowding_out_some_fans.html

A Facebook follower reminded me that to see the comments, readers must use the above address. Apparently, being signed in is also required - possibly that was the whole problem. The bitly address did not give access to the 60+ comments.

In responding to him, I added that I have already “ranted about philly.com commenters back when the same columnist did a piece on accessible cabs, so I resisted doing a sequel (http://robqink-page2.blogspot.com/2011/10/comments-by-phillycom-users-display.html). Those comments were outrageous; some were actually deleted after I hit the “report” button. I’ve been thinking it’s akin to beer muscles; the lack of ability to truly respond to these idiots makes them tougher. And dumber. Technically you can reply, but it’s not like a Facebook reply or e-mail; they only see it if they chose to see it by going back to the article.” At least with beer muscles they can get knocked on their ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry, comments are closed.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.