The Birth of Super Crip is now available!
Click here to get it in paperback or on Kindle.

I’ve been blogging again at http://robjquinn.blogspot.com. I hope you’ll give it a try. Thanks!

Monday, May 9, 2011

Self-defense Class a Positive Step

I started taking a self-defense class a week ago Sunday. It was a spur of the moment thing. A buddy of mine was teaching it, and I’ve been in a bit of a rut lately, so I decided to give it a shot just to do something different. Quite frankly, I didn’t think I’d get much more out of it than the chance to meet some new people and participate in an extra activity for a couple months.

I’m still not convinced that I’ll be fighting off attackers any time soon. Two lessons in, I probably shouldn’t be convinced of that any way. But there have been a few positives already.

I actually find myself wanting to learn more about the karate concepts I’ve been learning. I even practiced the movements a few times on my own during the last eight days. Nothing major, just going through the movements once or twice. And, just maybe, I’ve learned some things that would keep me safe in the event of a mugging or some other form of attack.

The experience has also sparked a few thoughts. What else might be out there to do? I like the physicality of the movements I’m learning. I still remember trying to wrestle in high school. I only lasted a week for various reasons, but there was that same type of physical nature of it that I’ve often wondered if I should have pursued.

I also got a blog post out of it with a positive feel to it. Sometimes I certainly focus too much on the negative. I’ve been wanting to do something positive with Page 2 for a while, and hope this can be Step One.

I don’t think I could pull off a “positive message of the day” – I don’t want to make anybody hurl, including myself. But taking a chance on something new has already been a plus this month, so I thought I’d take a crack at another something new. I’ll do my best to follow-up with another post with at least a positive thought soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry, comments are closed.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.