The Birth of Super Crip is now available!
Click here to get it in paperback or on Kindle.

I’ve been blogging again at http://robjquinn.blogspot.com. I hope you’ll give it a try. Thanks!

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Michael Bublé — CD Review

Michael Bublé’s self-titled album is one of the few albums since the turn of the century that gets the dwindling music fan in me to make a point to play it apart from the “shuffle” of my collection. He brings life to songs most of us in our mid-30s have only heard bastardized on commercials or when the old folks are around. As we become the old folks, he’s making the transition a bit easier.

I can probably offer the most knowledgeable opinion on his cover of Lou Rawl’s “You’ll Never Find Another Love,” a song I’ve heard plenty in my life. He offers a soft version, which probably helps him avoid competing with the legend. It’s ok on it’s own, but I’ll admit I’d take Rawl’s version over it. “The Way You Look Tonight” is also familiar to me enough to say the original is better but Bublé certainly doesn’t do the Frank Sinatra’s classic a disservice.

Bublé does a great job with “Fever,” giving the quirky song a kick few could get out of it. Yet, his cover of “Crazy Little Thing Called Love” reminds you that sometimes not trying to do too much to the original (if I’m remembering correctly) is exactly the right thing to do. In the same vain, “How Can You Mend a Broken Heart” and “Put Your Head on My Shoulder” are well done songs that offer perfect examples of the singer’s stereotypically-described yet uniquely silky voice.

“Summer Wind,” “For Once in My Life” and “Come Fly With Me” remind me of the little I’ve heard from Sinatra. Bublé manages to bring Sinatra to mind without sounding like a guy trying to mimic the legend.

The album is rounded out nicely with songs that I’m sure I’ve heard before, but can only really judge on Buble’s versions. “Sway” will make you move, if you’re so inclined and maybe even if you’re not. “Moondance” is an energetic remake of the Van Morrison hit. “Kissing a Fool” lets Bublé show off his ability to slide from soft ballad to forceful lyrics and back again. “That’s All” is very soft, and probably my least favorite on an album I enjoy plenty.

As I wrote this review I kept thinking Bublé seems like a great ramp up (and eventual weening from) the annual Christmas music barrage we’re all headed for. Maybe I’m getting a little better at these music reviews, as Bublé actually does have an album of holiday classics — Michael Bublé/Let It Snow.

If that works for you or you’re looking for something different from most of what finds its way to radio, Michael Bublé is definitely worth listening to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry, comments are closed.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.